8:32 PM

The Hole in Our Gospel

Posted by Sam

I'm reading a FANTASTIC book by Richard Stearns, President of World Vision called ' The Hole in Our Gospel'.  A few chapters in he starts talking about Matthew 25 where we are given a glimpse of what the final judgement of humankind will look like. Stearns goes on to say that the people gathered before Christ will be divided into two groups, sheep and goats. However, he says that the most surprising thing is that the criteria for the division of the groups isn't what we would think. He says its not that the sheep are the ones who confessed faith in Christ while the goats didn't, but that the sheep are the ones loving the poor, sick, imprisoned, and vulnerable, while the goats don't. He goes on to suggest that this passage is hard for us because it hits close to home, aka: we like to talk the talk and not so much walk the walk. And then he took some liberties and paraphrased this passage himself and this is what he came up with:

'For I was hungry, while you had all you needed. I was thirsty, but you drank bottled water. I was a stranger, and you wanted me deported. I needed clothes, but you needed more clothes. I was sick, and you pointed out the behaviors that led to my sickness. I was in prison, and you said I was getting what I deserved.' - Richard Stearns

I LOVE the way he said it. It's so true, and also quite convicting.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Fantastic quote. I have that book on my shelf. Guess I'm going to have to read it now ;)

Sam said...

Yes, you should definitely read it. It's a great book. :) Another favorite quote... ' Proclaiming the whole gospel, then, means much more than evangelism in the hopes that people will hear and respond to the good news of salvation by faith in Christ. It also encompasses tangible compassion for the sick and the poor, as well as biblical justice, efforts to right the wrongs that are so prevalent in our world....This whole gospel is truly good news for the poor, and it is the foundation for a social revolution that has the power to change the world. '

I kinda think all church ' leaders' should read it. ;)

Melissa Lankford said...

How funny, I started reading that book yesterday afternoon and also joined a small group where they read the same quote from Sterns. Guess God is trying to tell me something here.